Friday, January 16, 2009

girl meets home, Girl Makes Soup

With temperatures predicted to be well below freezing all day in the DC-area, I thought Friday night would be a great night to make some nice soup to warm us up.

Many of us are trying to eat better this year. In fact, going "even more organic" is one of my New Year's resolutions. So this week I was on the hunt for a healthy but substantial soup, and found a recipe for Sausage and Kale soup from the only and only MarthaStewart.com.

I thought I would share with you how this week's soup turned out with a quick step-by-step, just like last week's marinara sauce.

Quick note: I replaced the recommended kale with pre-chopped and rinsed escarole, which can be found at your local grocery store.

Start by prepping all of the veggies.


Then drop a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in your pre-heated-over-medium-heat stock pot.


Next, add the onions, and let them cook for about 3 minutes.


Then, add the red pepper flakes and minced garlic. Let cook until fragrant for 1-2 minutes.



Next, add the cubed potatoes and 3 cans (or 6+ cups of) low sodium chicken stock. (I used organic.)




Boil on high, then lower the heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. I let mine simmer for 15 minutes.


Then, put half of the soup in a blender, and blend until combined/liquefied. Pour the thickened mixture back into your stock pot.

Add the chicken sausage (removed from its casing) and escarole.


Let simmer for another 10-15 minutes -- until the escarole is wilted.


Voila! Sausage and Escarole soup! Christian was skeptical at first, but ended up eating two big bowls of it, so I assume it passed the test :-)

Enjoy!

No comments: