Saturday, January 10, 2009

girl meets home, Girl Makes Sauce

Last night I made my first sauce of the year. I love making marinara -- not only does it taste a million times better than anything from a jar, but it's healthy -- loaded with lycopene and omega-3s -- and it's also much less expensive than that processed stuff, even when using mostly organic products.

I always make Giada De Laurentiis' Marinara Sauce because it is so easy -- everyone can make this sauce! So I thought I would show you how with a quick step-by-step.

First, do all the prep -- chop your onions, celery, carrots, and mince your garlic using a garlic press.

Grab a stock pot and heat 1/2 a cup of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.

Throw in your onions and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes.


Throw in the carrots and celery. Cook for another 10 minutes.


It will look like this after 9-10 minutes.


Next, toss in your crushed tomatoes (mine are organic...in the can). First can...


Second can...and throw in two dried bay leaves.


Let simmer on low for about an hour.

This picture was taken midway -- after about 30 minutes.


Now it's been an hour and...Voila! Beautiful red sauce! Discard the bay leaves and it's ready to serve.


I usually make a big pot -- some to use for dinner the same night (and lunch the next day) and freeze the rest so the hubs and I can quickly make a pasta dinner during the week. Bon appetit!

No comments: