Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ethan Allen... my Valentine!

I saw this hutch and buffet for sale on Craigslist last week and fell in love! It's probably twenty-some years young and has great bones. We recognized the design as one of Ethan Allen's from the 80's because Jared had a similar hutch with book shelves in his bedroom growing up. Sure enough the Ethan Allen name was branded into the side of one of the drawers. When I saw the seller was only asking for $250 I just had to have it... pronto!

So, Jared and I went to check it out in hopes of making it my Valentine's Day gift. And it's a good thing I had my Valentine with me because he asked the seller if they could come down in price and they knocked off $25 just like that! We spent half of the day yesterday stuffing it into the back of my Jeep and driving it home. After some serious dusting we moved the hutch into it's new home in our kitchen.

The size is perfect for our space and it has plenty of storage behind the glass doors to display extra dishes and serving pieces. Plus the drawers and cabinets below will offer tons of room for the less attractive items that we want to keep out of sight.

It's solid wood and dove-tailed construction mean it will last for years to come...
I'm planning to give it an extreme makeover this spring when it warms up outside. A fresh coat of paint and a few new details will turn this old gem into a brand new master piece. This is a Valentine's gift I'll always remember, thanks to my wonderful hubby!




No comments: