Tuesday, February 17, 2009

DIY: Custom Monogram Wall Decor


Now that our master bedroom is repainted, I've begun to notice all the empty wall space in this room; one of the most glaringly vacant spots being above our bed. Since it's the first thing you see when you enter the room, I decided to take tackle a little DIY custom wall decor project that I came up with to fill the void.

I looove monograms and have always wanted to hang one in some form above the bed. So I started playing around with fonts and sizes in Microsoft Word one morning and came up with a great idea: Why not use Word to create a large three-letter monogram in dark brown, print it out on heavier paper, frame it, and hang it over our bed?

That's just what I did and I have to say I am pretty pleased with the results! Altogether, this project cost about $42.00.

Here's a step-by-step guide:

Materials: 1. First I found a font I liked in the biggest size that would fit in the center of an 8.5" x 11" page.



2. Using Paper Source Luxe Fino White Text Paper in 8.5" x 11", I printed the large letters using my inkjet printer.



3. Then, I purchased three silver metal frames from Michael's (at 50% off this week), and three white double mats using three 50% off coupons.


4. I carefully removed the double mats from their shrink wrap, and separated each set. I decided to paint the mat in the foreground of the frame, and left the inner mat white.



The color I chose to paint the mat in the foreground is Benjamin Moore's Gossamer Blue because my bedroom is espresso and porcelain blue. You can choose whatever colors coordinate with your decor. You'll see I picked up a Benjamin Moore color sample -- this little guy only costs $3.99 at your local Benjamin Moore store. Your local store likely has several dozen colors pre-mixed so you can just grab and go! I bought two samples to be on the safe side, but ended up using only one.


5. I got right to work using a mini roller fitted with a high density foam roller. The mini rollers and high density foam rollers are only a couple of bucks and can be found in any hardware store. I gave each mat two coats of paint.


Success! Now I let the three mats dry for about an hour.

6. After the mats dried completely, I reassembled the double mats. In each corner of the inner mat I placed one of these Zots adhesive dots to keep them together. I found these at Paper Source but I'm sure you can find something similar anywhere that sells scrapbooking/crafting materials.


7. After adhering the double mats, I carefully applied tiny dots to each corner of the monogram print-outs, and -- one at a time -- carefully affixed them to the mats, making sure that each letter was perfectly straight within the opening.

8. Once the monograms were affixed to the mats, I carefully placed and secured the mats and monograms inside the frames.


All done! Now all you have to do is find a place to hang these lovely 11" x 14" framed monograms! Here's how mine look in their new home:


If you like this idea and decide to do it as well, send us pictures at girlmeetshome@gmail.com! We'd love to see how they turn out -- good luck!

3 comments:

Rachel Rose said...

Wow - you've been churning out so many great ideas here lately - just amazing!

Lavender Lily said...

ok, can you tell that I just found your blog and I'm reading all your posts? I love all of your DIY projects. I didn't do the monogram project, but I did something similar to take up some space over my bed. Check it out at my blog-

http://thelavenderlily.blogspot.com/2008/08/fun-and-cheap-wall-art.html

Virginia Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.