On Saturday morning we turned our backyard into a satellite dish graveyard. That's because last week heavy winds knocked over one of the two dishes on our roof and ever since we've wanted to murder DirecTV. Of course the banging dish was just outside of our bedroom window so we've been sleeping in the guest room for the past few nights. You'd think the satellite company would have a service for removing unused dishes from previous customers... but if you thought that... you'd be wrong!
Our annoyance (and lack of zzz's) spurred us into action. We went to Home Depot at 8:00 am Saturday morning and rented a 24' extension ladder so that Jared could climb onto the roof to remove both dishes. Thankfully no one was hurt in the process and we had the ladder back an entire hour before it was due. (FYI: renting a ladder of this size cost us $28 for four hours which made more sense for us than spending $200 to buy one.)
I think Jared actually enjoyed tossing both dishes off of the roof. May they rest in peace.
Since removing the mount plates would leave a series of exposed holes in the roof we decided to leave them in place for the time being. Jared did some Google searches to see what people typically do to remove these old dishes and most sources suggested leaving the plates in place if they weren't a problem.
However, if the plate is loose or already missing some of the bolts, you will be better off removing them and patching the holes. In most cases the bolts used to secure the dish to your house will have punctured several layers under your roofing. Leaving them exposed will likely cause water damage in the future.
We used Henry Wet Patch Roof Cement to fill in the holes. It came in a caulk tube which made it easy to dispense (I assume, after all Jared was the one on the roof.)
Finally, the eye sore(s) are gone, baby gone. No more useless dishes on our roof and the rickety-rackety, pots and pans-like banging we've been living with are a thing of the past!