Thursday, March 19, 2009

Art, by a Talented Friend!

When it comes time to decide what to hang on an empty wall... I am usually pretty much clueless. Until I became a home owner and newlywed, my wall decor consisted of posters that may or may not have been framed. While I love my "Rosie the Riveter" poster that still adorns my bedroom wall at my parents house, it's time for some grown up art.

A few months ago while dining with a nearly-wed couple we are friends with, I discovered Andrea, the bride to be, is a seriously talented artist! She casually mentioned that one of her favorite things to do is to sit down with a pen and paper and draw whatever is in front of her. I asked to see some of her work and she pulled out a portfolio of black and white scenes she drew while studying abroad in Italy during college. I was so impressed by her work that I wasn't shy in asking for something to take home...

I need to ask Andrea again where she was when she drew this city street but I know for sure it was during her time in Italy. Can you believe how talented this woman is? As soon as I found a black frame ($10 on sale at AC Moore) I popped this gem behind a black & white mat and found a place in our kitchen to show off my new piece of art!
Andrea doesn't know it yet, but I am going to keep coming back for more! She is a bride-to-be by night, and a landscape architect by day. I've even seen some of her professional landscape designs (in magazines by the way) and she would put the crew of Curb Appeal and Yard Crashers to shame. Hmmm... maybe I can get her to sketch some ideas for my backyard this spring?!
It is wonderful to have a piece of art in our home that's not only stunning, but also a creation of an awesome friend. I'd love to see some of your 'out of the box' art ideas!

No comments: