Saturday, May 2, 2009

Some Like it White Hot

It's probably pretty obvious that Erica and I are partial to a particular color scheme in home decor: Black and White.

While looking around my living room, dining room and kitchen this morning, I noticed just how prominent the black accessories are in the black and white/cream decor. While I don't think it's too much, it would probably be a good idea to incorporate a little more white/ivory for added contrast.

So this afternoon I checked out a few of my favorite retailers to see what's out there in white/cream, and put together a mood board with some finds. This is my favorite mood board yet, check it out!


Clockwise, from top left:

1. Diagonal Selvedge Pillow Cover, West Elm: I love pleats and these incorporate one of my favorite elements in a light summery pillow cover.

2. Great White Heirloom Serving Bowl, Pottery Barn: This bowl will add a little panache to your table while used for its original purpose, but I also like the idea of incorporating it into a spring and summer centerpiece. For instance, imagine it filled with bright yellow lemons.

3. Cordoba Mirrors, Ballard Designs: Wouldn't a large group of these hung above a bed be interesting? I really like the pattern and texture of these whitewashed mirrors.

4. Ceramic Artichoke Sculptures, Bassett Furniture: {sigh} I can't get enough of these ceramic artichokes. For proof, click here and here.

5. Emma Pitcher, Pottery Barn: I love the vintage appeal of this pitcher, particularly the beading. What a pretty way to serve an ice-cold beverage on a hot summer day. And when not entertaining, I would fill it with hydrangea, peonies, or tulips and use it as a centerpiece.

6. Stella Vase, Crate and Barrel: The texture of this vase really makes it pop. A friend gave this to me as a shower gift last year -- I love it!

7. French Chair with Slipcover, Wisteria: I just want to curl up in this chair with a latte and a Marie Antoinette biography. With the ruffle slipcover, it looks like it belongs in a quaint apartment in Paris...or my home in the U.S. Maybe it will go on sale some time this year and I can think about making it mine!

8. Balustrade Lamp, Circa Lighting: When Erica and I toured a local ($1.2M) model home a few months ago, a pair of alabaster lamps just like this sat atop the nightstands on either side of the bed in the master bedroom. Love the shape and contemporary/traditional feel.

9. Cutwave Dress, J.Crew: And finally, I'm throwing in this white dress just because...it's so pretty! Imagine it with pale gold heels, and large blue gemstone earrings. Love it! Will definitely keep my eye on it in case it hits the sale pages at J.Crew this season.

No comments: