Wednesday, July 1, 2009

DIY: "Vintage Flashcards"

Inspired by a few Vintage Flashcard ideas I've seen out in blogosphere... I decided to use flashcards to display my affection for our four-legged friend for all to see. I started with an old Ikea frame that's followed me from my freshman dorm room all through college and into our current house and still never been hung on a wall:



First, I removed the current photos and gave the frame a coat of black spray paint.

Next, I wrapped the old matting with some leftover fabric I've been hanging onto.

Then, I printed out my own "vintage flashcards" on thick cardstock and trimmed them evenly to create the look of an authentic flashcard.

Finally, I arranged the flashcards beneath a photo of man's (& woman's) best friend:

They may not be authentic or vintage, but they get the point across and the whole project cost under two dollars. I paid around .69 for each sheet of card stock and all of the other materials were already in the house. If I ever see a set of vintage flashcards in my travels I will be sure to pick them up... check out some of the fun ways to incorporate flashcards into your home below:

Apartment Therapy: Look! Vintage Flashcards as Wall Art
Urban Debris Artlog: What to do with Vintage Flashcards

2 comments:

Brittney said...

LOVE the idea!!! So clever :)

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Great project! Thanks for the linky love!

Amy